22.9.14

Smokie Norful

There's a little bit of a Southern soul flavor on this weeks show, some of the people making my vintage soul playlist this week are; Joe Simon, along side Eddie Floyd, O V Wright and Johnnie Taylor, four true soul music legends. I was asked the question the other day, "How do I select the music that I play?" The answer was pretty simple, much of it depends on my mood at the time I load the show at the Bridge studio but I do try to include music from any decade, and feel it's vital that new music gets played along side the classics, I also keep in mind that a lot of people would lose interest if I only played new releases, so I try to keep that balance right. I meet with Mickey every Monday morning to update the web site and I gotta tell you he is always reminding me of tracks that I had forgot and in a lot of cases didn't know, there is SOOO much wonderful music out there and the aim of The Science of Soul is to share that with you.


Representing the new music this week is Ms Lydia Rene, I have a track from her forthcoming album "Vintage Heart" and I will be album-tracking from current releases by; Avery Sunshine, Dee Robinson and Gwendolyn Collins, just to remind you how good these sets are. Making a welcome return to the recording studio is the legendary band, Con Funk Shun, and there new single "Your Night" is a real nod to days gone by, It's great to see artists like this back recording 'cause they have still so much to offer. Featured artist this week is Willie Ray Norful from Bolingbrook, IL, better known as Smokie Norful , he's proved himself as one of the leading lights of contemporary gospel music, as well as being an active pastor and real estate company owner, it's a wonder he gets time to record, but thankfully he does, This new album, "Forever Yours" will continue to raise his music profile and I think you will enjoy.

I did mention last week that I would be teaming with my soul brother Melvin Jordan at Legend 107 radio in Tampa Bay, Florida, to do a special show ...well it's now confirmed and it will air on October 12th. so make a date in your diary.

Ok as always it's about the music so sit back and enjoy a slice of Soul pie...remember to share the pie around.


Play list for Sunday 21-09-2014

Hour One
Sweet Thunder - Hot Line
Joe Simon - She's My Lady
Lydia Rene - Last Night
Dee Robinson - What Can I Do For You
Quedon - Speechless
Con Funk Shun - Your Night
Charles Williams - Standing In The Way
Avery Sunshine - Love (Wont You Try)
B. Grant - Tight Work
Nais - Break Off
Smokie Norful - I Feel Good
 Smokie Norful - I Got What You Need
Mirage - Don't Ask Me To Stop Loving You

Hour Two
Gigi Allen - I Was Wondering
Johnnie Taylor - Don't Make Me Late
Freddie Jackson - More Than Friends
Street People - Why You Wanna Make Me Lonely
R Kelly - You
Eddie Floyd - I'm So Glad I Met You
Gwendolyn Collins - Be Happy
Phyllis Hyman - When I Give My Love
Larry Saunders - Darling I Love You
O V Wright - Drowning On Dry Land
Walter Jackson - I Wont Remember Loving You
Angie Stone - No More Rain
The Artistics - I'm Gonna Miss You

Smokie Norful Biography:

Pastor Smokie Norful spent the early portion of his life in Muskogee and Tulsa, Oklahoma. He later moved to Pine Bluff, Arkansas, where he attended Jack Robey Junior High and Pine Bluff High School. He is a graduate of the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff with a bachelor’s degree in history. He also received formal training in ministry at Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary in Evanston, Ill., and Trinity International Seminary in Deerfield, Ill., where he studied to achieve a master’s of divinity. He served as a history teacher for seven years at Jack Robey Junior High School, Pine Bluff High School (Pine Bluff, Ark.) and Evanston Township High School (Evanston, Ill.) respectively. Additionally Rev. Norful served for two years as the educational director for the Pine Bluff Housing Authority’s after-school program. Other notable vocational experiences include, but are not limited to, his service as a historian for the National Park Service and a congressional aid for the fourth congressional district. He currently serves on the board of Regents for Trinity International University. More at Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE ENTER COMMENT BELOW:-