24.11.14

Jimmy Ruffin


...we lost Jimmy this week!
Thanks for visiting the Science of Soul website, by now I'm sure your aware we lost Motown legend Jimmy Ruffin. Jimmy's career was always more successful in Europe than in his homeland. I was blessed to get to know Jimmy very well over the years. I never thought I would miss those midnight phone calls that would last two hours but looking back I do.

His passing was not unexpected but somehow still came as a surprise to me. Looking back I remember buying "Farewell Is A Lonely Sound" as a kid in high school. On a personal level Jimmy was a complex character often sounding insecure and feeling he was overlooked and then on other occasions he would sound like he could take on the world, we would spend hours talking about his childhood in Mississippi and how he was rejected by the army for having flat feet,lol.....at the time I took those conversations and times spent around him for granted. I had not been in touch with Jimmy much for the last few years and  that I regret.

If I could have one more conversation with Jimmy I would thank him for not just the music but for the memories he shared, it's only as I get older, do I fully understand how blessed I have been to share those times ... Ahh those "Magic of Motown" tours with Jimmy, Edwin Starr and Junior Walker, you could write a book about those ..... I remember one day driving from Birmingham to Exeter, Jimmy called me just as I'd hit the Motorway, 125 miles later we were still talking, lol and for the life of me I can't remember about what!. Please excuse my indulgence, I'm feeling nostalgic and 'Farewell Is A Lonely Sound....Rest In Peace Jimmy,' you wont be forgotten!

On this weeks show we feature the new compilation CD from Soul Junction Records: "We Got A Sweet Thing Going On" if you like your vintage soul on the sweet side like I do your gonna love this set. Be sure to visit the Soul Junction website for info on all there releases www.souljunctionrecords.co.uk they do a great job and fully deserve our support. Also got new music this week from Uvee Hayes and Terri Tobin and as always loads of classics from recent and distant past. Sit back enjoy the music and tell a friend.

Playlist for Sunday 23-11-2014



Hour One
Victor Haynes - My Time Is Here
Incognito - Stop Running Away
Uvee Hayes - You Make Me Happy
Terri Tobin ft Shawn Hibbel - Love Happens
Maysa ft Dwele - Flower Girl
Citation - We've Come Along Way
Elbowed Out - Book Of Guinness
Clay Hammond They Just Don't Make Them No More
Hyleen Gil ft Omar - Can You Love Me
Jimmy Ruffin - Foolish Thing To Do/
Do You Feel The Way You Make Me Feel/
I Got You Girl

Hour Two
Ty G - I'm Really Not Concerned About Your Past
Willie Tee - First Taste Of Hurt
Lamont Johnson - This Must Be Heaven
Exceptional 3 - Unlucky Girl
Rhonda Clark/Chuck Howard - Your My Everything
Dee Robinson - Feel A Little Tired
Rick James - Teardrops
Bobby Wade - Four Walls & A Window
The Spinners - You Go Your Way I Go Mine
Junior Walker - What Does It Take
Curtis Mayfield - Another Fool
Natural Impulse - She Went Away
Norman Scott - Baby Don't Go
The Temptations - Hoops Of Fire

Jimmy Ruffin Biography:

Jimmy Ruffin was born in Collinsville, Mississippi, and was approaching his fifth birthday when his brother David was born. As children, the brothers began singing with a gospel group, the Dixie Nightingales. In 1961, Jimmy became a singer as part of the Motown stable, mostly on sessions but also recording singles for its subsidiary Miracle label, but was then drafted for national service. After leaving the Army in 1964, he returned to Motown, where he was offered the opportunity to join the Temptations to replace Elbridge Bryant. However, after hearing his brother David, they hired him for the job instead so Jimmy decided to resume his solo career. Jimmy Ruffin recorded for Motown's subsidiary Soul label, but with little success. More at wiki

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE ENTER COMMENT BELOW:-