24.6.13

The Soul Papers feat: Coco

Phil Tonks
Thanks for stopping by the Science of Soul web site; I hope my new time slot is more convenient for my Bridge FM listeners and live Internet visitors. Bringing the Show forward 2 hours will help us grow even more. If your new to the Show please be sure to spread the word. I would like to give a big thank you to my predecessor Phil Tonks who's kindness as allowed me to move forward and I'm sure Phil's excellent Soul Boudoir will back in a new slot before to long.

This week I'm featuring an EP release by Soul Papers (feat: Coco) I don't no to much about them but if it's an indication of things to come I can't wait. Been recommending a few books over the past weeks and I would like to draw your attention to Aretha Franklin's excellent collaboration with award winning writer David Ritz, 'From These Roots' is a look at the Queen of Soul's life from her own perspective. I think sometimes we take artists like Aretha for granted, as celebrated as she is it's amazing when you look at her career, she is undoubtedly one of the most important soul artist's of all time.

I was going through some DVD's the other day ended up watching Superfly, it's a real time capsule!, I know everyone is aware of it and most have seen it but if it's been while why not check It out again, If only for the footage of Curtis Mayfield performing live.

Listener: Bob Deakin
The Listeners Choice* this week comes from Bob Deakin aka' Bartley Bob', if you don't know Bob, let me tell you this guy has an amazing record collection and a knowledge of soul music that's second to none. His interest in music ranges right though all the genres of soul though to jazz & reggae. I was so pleased a guy of Bob's stature submitted three songs from his vast collection, I can only imagine how tough that was and great choices Bob - Thanks! Remember: to anyone who would like to send in their own, It's really simple, all I need is the song title and artist and I will do the rest. You can reach me via Facebook or email bill.randle@thebridgeradio.net.

Just a final note this week, just heard that we lost the Soul/Gospel singer Mary Love (Comer) at the age of 69. She passed on Friday 21st June, Ady Croasdell who published her Modern tracks on the UK Kent label broke the news..

Ready to enjoy the music?  just sit back now relax and do indulge..

This weeks playlist for Sunday 23rd. June 2013



Hour One
Curtis Mayfield - Soul Music
Fatback - Feeling Mellow
Angie Stone & Betty Wright - Baby
Archie Bell & The Drells -
                            It's Hard Not To Like You
L J Reynolds - Cheating On Me
Soul Papers featuring Coco Fly Free
Soul Papers featuring Coco Find The Love
Eric Nolan Grant - Reminds Me Of You
*Veda Love - Make Me Yours Tonight
*Bernard - Kingdom Of Love
*Chris Simpson - World Changer

Hour Two
Wendell B - Work
Basic Black - Special Kinda Fool
C. Robert Walker - Touch Me
Mass Production - I Don't Want To Know
Bobby Womack - Woman Got To Have It
ZZ Hill - Don't Want Our Love To Be A Secret
James Brown - Doing The Best I Can
Soul Papers featuring Coco One Love
Brainstorm - You Put A Change In My Life
The Chi-Lites - I Never Had It So Good

Biography for Coco Mallone:
 Coco Malone is a soulful, jazzy songbird who is spreading her wings and bursting onto the UK's soul scene. Hailing from Lancashire, north west England, she has paid her performance dues by singing jazz standards and soul classics at cabaret and burlesque nights across the UK and as far as Paris, Rome, Stuttgart and Geneva. Coco received vocal and performance training from an early age before then going on to gain much experience from life itself - a life that only felt complete with music in it. And it's that vast experience that Coco puts into her music - whether she's delivering one of the classics from the vocalists who inspire her, or whether she's writing her own lyrics to tell the world her own story.

Her vocals are sometimes soulful, sometimes jazzy, sometimes powerful, sometimes vulnerable - but they always come from the heart. They've been described as sounding like "melted chocolate over hot coals".


No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE ENTER COMMENT BELOW:-