3.6.13

Marvin Junior (The Dells)

 I've had a bit of format change this week, it's a one week only thing, there's no featured artist or listeners choice, but the second hour of the show is dedicated to THE DELLS as I am sure you are aware by now we lost Marvin Junior this week (29-5-13). 

Regular listeners will know that The Dell's feature on my play list quite a lot as they are without a doubt one my favourite soul groups of all time. The losing Johnny Carter a few years back pretty much put the group on hold. Johnny's soaring tenor played off against Marvin's soul drenched baritone was the bench marks for all vocal groups and one without the other was just unthinkable. When I sat down to write this piece It occurred to me that The Dells have been making music since before I was born.

 I wont go into a heavy history of the group as much has been written and done very well by others over the years. They became more than just a vocal group because they became part of the very fabric of Black American culture with their influences heard every day on all radio stations throughout the United States. 
Teddy Pendergrass once said he leaned everything he knew from listening to Marvin Junior, Eddie Kendricks and Ron Banks from The Dramatics and also cited The Dells as the group they looked up to.

The Mighty Dells
It was indeed through my long friendship with Ron Banks that I had the honour to meet both Johnny and Marvin along with Mickey McGill, Vern Allison and of course one of the all time great bass singers Chuck Barksdale, who at the time I am writing this is also gravely ill! I was in Detroit some time back when Ron called and said: "Hey Billy you picked a great time to be here", there is never a bad time to be there Lol, but Ron was so happy they were doing a show in Chicago at the Aire Crown Centre on Lake Shore Drive with The Dells.  So off we went to the Windy City on a freezing November day and all I can say about that time was WOW...I thought I had died and gone to heaven. 

Their only UK show
It was my first time seeing The Dells live they were all I'd expected and then some. They never lost that magic, even now as I sit and listen to their music it still touches me in a way I can't explain. My life without groups music is unthinkable. I considered playing just a few tracks in tribute but I couldn't do it, they are just to important in my life and in the history. of soul music The songs that I have selected is in no real order, It's not meant to be a history of the group but more a celebration of there legacy so please indulge me for one week! and as you listen just think of The MIGHTY MIGHTY Dells: they made music in our lifetime for us to enjoy and share.

Also take time to remember Clarence Burke, Jr who left us last week as well (19-5-13). As a member of The Five Stairsteps Clarence was at the forefront of Curtis Mayfield's Chicago soul revolution. He later became instrumental in forming the Invisible Man Band. 2013 has been such a hard year for our soul family but it's wonderful that we pay tribute: but let us not forget those who continue to make great music and enrich our lives.



Sundays Playlist for 1st. June 2013



Hour One
Billy Griffin - Understand
Mel Waiters - 2 Step
Lenny Williams - This Is For...
                      ... The One That Got Away
Luther Vandross - Thinking Bout You
The Natural Four - Heaven on Earth
Lyndon David Hall - I Wanna Be Another You
Marvin Gaye - When Did You Stop Loving Me
War - Summer
Eric Benet' - News For You
Willie Hutch - Let's Try It Over
Anthony David - Get Around
The Emotions - So I Can Love You

Hour Two
The Dells Tribute:
Give Your Baby A Standing Ovation
Oh What A Night
Stay In My Corner
I Wish It Was Me You Loved
I Touched A Dream
Soul Strolling
Reminiscing
Walk On By
Passionate Breezes
Tripped Slipped And Tumbled
Love Is Missing From Our Life (with The Dramatics)
Always Together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE ENTER COMMENT BELOW:-