10.6.13

Mike Hammond

 I'm back to normal for this weeks Science of Soul, thank you for all the great feed back, re: the Dells Special last week. I'm glad so many of you enjoyed it. This week show: lots of new music hitting the streets over the next few weeks and I'll  be featuring as much as I can. This includes new music from Vick Allen who is back after his hugely successful album 'Soul Music' and if the new single is the bench mark for his upcoming set he has another classic on his hands. Listen out for a new artist for me anyway, from Atlanta, GA, Jahah, who's track "Happy" blew me away when I first heard it, I'm expecting big things from this Gentleman check out his biography here.

My featured artist today is Mike Hammond who's new album is due pretty soon, today playing two tracks from him. The Hollis, New York based singer also had a self titled album out, back in 2006, today's  new set is entitled "Anomaly," I'll will keep you posted on its progress.

My first track from Midnight this week is an epic Barry White number. I have loved Barry White's music for what seems like a lifetime and I am still wowed by tracks that came out on obscure albums. When you hear his arraignments and the power of his rhythm section it's just still amazing. People often say they'll never be another after him, but I think never another before him either, he was totally unique. The Gospel spot this week belongs to Ms. Yolanda Adams, she's a gospel superstar and rightly so. Just an incredible vocalist, just explore her catalogue you will not be disappointed. Thanks to all the people who have checked out the Marv Johnson interview I did over 20 years-ago, so glad Mickey keeps everything and I thank him for all his hard work and time restoring stuff, he is such a major part of the Science of Soul show.

Teddy Morrow
I have a UK exclusive for you with a new version of the song: 'By The Time I Get To Phoenix'. You may remember the Soul classic by Issac Hayes (some 44 yeas-ago!),  well this new one has been recorded by the same team at Tera Shirma Studio's that mixed Hayes classic 18 minute one. Raph Terrena sent Mickey the track to review and with help from Mike Willcocks he's made a Blog. Today the song is performed by Teddie Morrow and has a nice driving funky guitar and a smooth Stepper feel to it, give it a listen I think you'll like it. More at: www.mickeynold.blogspot.com

It was Curtis Mayfield's Birthday this week, so take a minute or two to visit our Curtis Mayfield Story, a joint venture with Mickey and myself that we did not to long after his tragic stage accident. You'll find links on this page (in side columns).

'SOS' Listener: Hisae Ito (Japan)
歓迎
I'm very pleased to have a young lady as our Listeners Choice this week, Ms. Hisae Ito from Kawasaki-Shi, Kanagawa, Japan. The lady gave us three sweet soul classic's [shown by*], I'm amazed at how popular soul music is in the Orient. I thank Hisae for taking on the task. Remember if you would like your choices played just let me know,  all I need is the song titles, bit about yourself  and I'll do the rest. You can email me at: bill.randle@thebridgeradio.net or simply go to the Face book page and message me and I'll get right back to you.

Let the music speak, enough chat from me, on with the show, just sit back relax and enjoy. Bridge FM readers click 'here' for Podcast.

This weeks playlist for Sunday 9th. June 2013



Hour One (11pm GMT+1)
Bigg Robb - Southern Ladies
McFadden & Whitehead - I've Been Pushed Aside
Vick Allen - I'm Tired Of Being Grown Up
The Impressions - I Wish I'd Stayed In Bed
Teddie Morrow - By The Time I Get To Phoenix
Mike Hammond - Karma
Mike Hammond - Good Morning ..Ooo Wee
The Soul Children - Move Over
Joe - I Wanna Know
*Trammps - Zing Went The Strings Of My Heart
*The Stylistics - Sixteen Bars
*The Spinners - Could It Be I Am Falling In Love

Hour Two (12am)
Barry White - Your Love...So Good I Can Taste It
Chocolate Jam Company - Just As You Are
Jahah - Happy
O. B. Buchana - Just Because He's Good To You
Chante Moore - Old School Love
Robert Winters & Fall - Magic Man
Yolanda Adams - Be Still (G-Spot)
'Sweet Charles' Sherrell - Why Can't I..
                               ... Be Treated Like A Man
The O'Jays - Pretty Is As Pretty Does
David Ruffin Can We Make Love One More Time
Gerald Alston - Let's Try Love Again

Mike Hammond Biography:
Every once in a while there comes a talent that cannot be ignored. He grew up listening to the legends: Stevie, Luther, Michael, and Donny to name a few. Today he's ready to hold his own with his contemporaries: Musiq, Dwele, and Anthony Hamilton. His interpretation of songs is impressive. His vocal range is astounding. His energy on stage is contagious. His name is Mike Hammond.

At the age of three in the Hollis area of Jamaica Queens, this local celebrity started singing in the Blanche Memorial Baptist Church's Tiny Tot Choir under the direction of his aunt. When family members found out there was a singer in the family, influences came from every where. From Gospel with an auntie and soul music from uncles, to Doo-Wop music from Dad and his Mom playing a wide variety tunes daily, Mike came to appreciate all facets of music.

Growing up he'd perform all along the east coast in church programs, talent contests, shows, pageants and festivals. Then at the age of 11, Mike was invited to perform on Hollis Stones' debut album "Welcome to My World" where he sang lead on a number of tracks. Then a year later he was asked to take part in Hollis's sophomore project "White Soul." Though both projects didn't go much farther than the New York City area, Mike enjoyed the experience and knew he wanted to record a project of his own someday.

Through the years, Mike has toured the U.S. and Europe extensively and has had the opportunity to share the stage with Gladys Knight, Billy Joel, Patti Labelle, and Kelly Price. His travels have taken him to the Caribbean and even to Africa to perform for the Royal family of Morocco. He has opened shows for Jennifer Holiday and Cathy Sledge of Sister Sledge. He has also recorded with 50 Cent, Incognito, and DJ Roger S just to name a few.

His self-titled solo album is a culmination of years of hard work and dedication to his craft. Being a prolific writer and daring vocal arranger, Mike has worked with the hottest new producers and seasoned musicians to create a project that stands apart from the rest. (cduniverse)


No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE ENTER COMMENT BELOW:-