8.12.14

Frances Nero (RIP)

Thanks for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed the Chicago special last week. I'm back in the UK now!

A friend of mine asked if it was good to be back....sh*t no!, lol, I'll take Chicago anytime.

Gerald Alston
One of my favorite venues over there is the Star Plaza in Merriville, Indiana, and it's just a short drive from Chicago central. Here I got a chance to see the the Thanks Giving Soul Concert with; The O'Jays, The Manhattans and The Dramatics...wow what a show! It was strange for me to watch the Dramatics without the late Ron Banks..... and I would be lying if I said it was the same.

L.J. Reynolds
Knowing Ron personally as I did, I think it was inevitable for me to feel that way. Having said that, full respect to L J Reynolds, he was as powerful as ever. When you look back over the greats you gotta have 'L J' on the list and he performed with passion and soul, I was so impressed with their show. For show openers were The Manhattans, sadly no Blue Lovett in the line-up (due to ill health) but Gerald Alston ..wow he just blew me away. (the group celebrated 50 years in 2012) Not seen The Manhattans in awhile and if anything Gerald as got even better!.... an incredible show, headlining was of course The O'Jays, need I say more wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. One of the many highlights from there set was "Loving You," I could stayed all night. In the audience was Reverend Jesse Jackson & Marshall Thomson of the Chi Lites as well as The Mighty Dells's Mr Vern Allison, I even had a surprise meeting with my dear friends Charles & Rose Davis ...a real night to remember...then I get asked "Is it nice to be back," doh!

Francis Nero (soulwalking.co.uk)
Sad to hear, while I was away, that my dear friend Frances Nero has passed - she was a real character. Although her recording output was not major, her impact on those of us who knew her was that of a lovely lady, she'll be sadly missed (I can't help but smile when I think about her).  *Funeral program is at foot of page* - thanks Dawn

The weeks show is a bit of a mish-mash, due to lack of time, but it's still cram-packed with soul. Coming soon at the request of Garry Edwards (Bridge FM DJ,) will be a mid-week Podcast only tribute to The Elgins with an interview that I made with the late Saundra Edwards in 1991. Watch out for that! Thanks Mickey for dealing with everything at the last minute and getting everything updated, now on with the music, sit back and enjoy ...

Playlist for Sunday 07-12-2014

 
Hour One
Uvee Hayes - In The Mood
Rose Royce - Would You Please Be Mine
Frances Nero - Footsteps Following Me
Al Chestnut - Touch Me In A Special Way
Sir Charles Jones - Glow
Dee Robinson - I Like It
Ursula Ricks - Sweet Tenderness
Eli Paperboy Reed - Young Girl
Dapaul - She's So Entertaining
Eddie Kendrick - Maybe I'm A Fool To Love You
Calvin Richardson - More Than A Picture
The Temptations - Look What You Started
Soulfinger ft Antonique Smith - Seeing You Again

Hour Two

Maze - Silky Soul Singer
The O'Jays - Loving You
The Manhattans - Feels So Good To Be Loved So Bad
L J Reynolds - Come Get To This
Charles Davis - You're The One For Me
Teri Tobin ft Will Brickhead - Always Be You
Phyllis Hyman - When I Give My Love
Gregg Jackson - Sunny Day
Angie Stone - More Than A Woman
Average White Band - Cloudy


No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE ENTER COMMENT BELOW:-