6.10.14

The Science Of Soul

Thanks as always for stopping by the Science of Soul. My thinking this week is that I'll feature a track each from; Archie Bell, Eddie Holman and Tommy Hunt, the three legends of soul music that I had a chance to catch up with last weekend at  The Skegness Soul Weekender and had over eight thousand people in attendance! the biggest event of it's kind ever, I'm told. What drews me to this and other events like this is always the live acts, and as one punter I was not disappointed. Archie Bell was amazing, my first time seeing him live. He's a rare visitor to these shores, though I heard a few grumbles from the Northern Soul fans wanting more of his 60's songs, his set though did include; "Don't Let Love Get You Down", "Strategy","Tighten Up" & "Soul City Walking" and with countless others, that was just fine by me! I managed to chat with Archie after, so look out for a Science of Soul Interview Special in the next few months.

Eddie Holman headlined Saturdays event.... now Eddie has always been a gentleman, it was so good to see him again, his set included; "Eddie's My Name" & "Hey There Lonely Girl", and was very well received, something I was pleased to see because Eddie is a true professional, his live shows always turn out to be something pretty special. On Sunday it was Tommy Hunt's turn, and I had a chat with Tommy as well just before his show. Incredible to think he was recording before I was born, that was as a member of The Flamingo's, that was way back in the 1950's.

Tommy's career has been long and eventful and to think at 81 years old he is still performing live...I salute you Mr Tommy Hunt. Be sure to check out Tommy's own book, "Human". Other acts on the bill was; The Flirtations, Judy Street and Dean Parish, and they were very well received, and due to fact there own recording out put is very limited, the shows were kind of like a Northern Soul's greatest hits compilation (I hope It's a long time before I hear Frank Wilson's "Do I Love You" again, lol ) overall it was a great weekend.

Now onto this weeks show....listen for new releases by; Nellie 'Tiger' Travis, Raphael Ashanti, Cecily Remy and Corey Cross. Final note: Please help the Science of Soul grow and share the link with a friend ... It's a gift that don't cost a penny ...



Track listing for Sunday 4-10-2014



Hour One
Archie Bell & The Drells - Don't Let Love Get You Down
Eddie Holman - Hey There Lonely Girl
Tommy Hunt - Loving On The Losing Side
The Exceptional Three - Unlucky Girl
Corey Cross - Extremes
Dawson Smith - I Don't Know If I Can Make It
Chris Jasper - The One
Cecily Remy - Butterfly
The Memory Notes - Follow The Sun
Mandrill - Coming Home
Musiq Soulchild - Settle For My Love
Omari Shabazz - Love & Understanding
Courtship - Ooop's It Just Slipped Out
The Superb's - Baby's Gone Away

Hour Two
Riko - All About Me
The Dells - Always Together
Rufus Troutman - All I Need
Strawberri - Ooh Wee Baby
Morgan James - Call My Name
Tanya - I'm Not Broken
Nellie 'Tiger' Travis - Cold Feet
Jesse Fisher - Don't Cheat On Me
Marwan Soulflow - Your So Fine
Raphael Ashanti - Can We Talk
Marvin Gaye - My Last Chance
Milestone - Spend Some Time
David Hudson Sometime Kinda Thing

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE ENTER COMMENT BELOW:-