25.5.15

24-05-2015

Bill's TV debut in Detroit
Thanks for stopping by this weeks Science of Soul, as many of you will all ready know I'm currently in Detroit after it took me three days long to fly to Chicago? very frustrating, but still worth the trip. I had big fun on the Brenda Perryman TV Show with Drew Schultz and what a great surprise to run into Marvin Willis of The Detroit Emeralds & Henry Tyler we could have talked for hours ..... in fact we did, lol. Then a late lunch with "Buttered & Soul", Pat & Diane Lewis at Fishbones then an evening with J J & Bernice Barnes .... A day in Detroit, .hope to put it here and make it available on the site when I return, I do have it on DVD to bring back. Be sure to keep up with the FB page for updates on the trip as always I do run into some interesting people.

Orthiea Barnes in 1987
Very sad to hear the news of singer Orthiea Barnes (J.J. Barnes's sister) passing I have to say Detroit is in mourning, among those scheduled to sing at the 'home going service' is Aretha Franklin, a tribute indeed.  Barnes was an American R&B and jazz singer who opened for Motown greats including Stevie Wonder and later entered the ministry. Barnes-Kennerly recorded in the 1960s for Detroit's Mickay Records and Coral Records, a Decca Records label. While never signing with Motown Records, she opened for a number of its stars, including Wonder, Marvin Gaye and Gladys Knight. Barnes died Friday in St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands, where she went for a performance, friend and bass player Ralphe Armstrong told the Detroit Free Press. She had at least two strokes in recent years and died of heart failure, she was 70.

My thanks as always to Mickey for keeping things ticking over in my absence .. heard a rumor Mickey might be back on the air waves himself, lets hope so .... Ok on with music it's mainly old school classics this week I will be getting back to normal on my return.

This weeks 'end of show video' is from the late great Jackie Wilson, it's his story in a documentary, enjoy the music and please share the link...


Sunday May 24th Playlist


Hour One
Isaac Hayes - Wonderful
Johnny Guitar Watson - A Real Mother For Ya.
Leon Ware - I Wanna Be Where You Are
Willie Hutch - I Can Sho Give You Love
Al Green - Full Of Fire
Roberta + Donny  - Where Is The Love
Eric Benet ft Eddie LeVert - Paid
George Clinton/Belita Woods - It's All In The Game
Johnny Bristol - Do It To My Mind
The Main Ingredient - You've Been My Inspiration
Angie Stone & Ray Charles - All I Wanna Do
Tower Of Power - Souled Out
Will Downing - Something Special

Hour Two
Men At Large - Holiday
Isley Brothers - Secret Lover
Rueben Studdard - Just Because
Dallas White - OOO Sexy Lady
Love Committee - Tired Of Being Your Fool
Vick Allen - Soul Music
Ali Ollie Woodson - Girl Don't Walk Away
Adriana Evans - Set In Stone
David Hudson - Your My Dream Come True
Bigg Robb - Macaroni & Cheese Song
Lola Gully - Loo My Way
Winzell Kelly - Step On
Teena Marie - Sweet Tooth

This weeks quiz question - Name this group?

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE ENTER COMMENT BELOW:-