12.5.14

Jimmy Ruffin

Happy birthday Jimmy!
Welcome to this weeks edition of the science of soul, I am sending out congratulations to my old friend Mr Jimmy Ruffin who turned 75 this week, Jimmy was one of Motown's most popular artists in Europe, so I
thought I would celebrate by playing a couple of Jimmy classics neither of which came out on Motown incidentally, they really show the smooth side of Jimmy and are so often overlooked.

Other new music on this weeks show comes from Alonzo Reid, you will also spot Reggie P on the playlist this guy was amazing if you like soul drenched with emotion one time member of The Barkays Reggie is your man, Check out the YouTube video of Reggie's last ever performance filmed in Texas shortly before his sad passing.
 
Southern soul legend Bigg Robb has a new tune this week and if you get chance to catch the big man live don't you miss it.....Bigg Robb live is an experience. I am not a great fan of Incognito but I have to say there new set "Amplified Soul" has a few nice moments and I have included a track on the show that jumped out at me and I think you might like it.

Thanks to all the people who share the Science of Soul link week in and week out I really appreciate your support and friendship, sometimes I don't have the time to promote the show like I should and the help you give in spreading the word is invaluable. One thing I love about presenting the science of soul is that it reminds me of music and artists that I sometimes take for granted, then I hear something that still blows me away and I get a chance to share it with you, that's the greatest joy in the world. On with the music sit back relax and enjoy...

Playlist for Sunday 11th. May 2014


Hour One

Dunn Street - Even A Fool
Shelia Moore - I Get Excited
Bigg Robb - Getting It In
Tristan - Odds To Win
O. B. Buchanan - It's Over
Mighty Pope - If You Want A Love Affair
Jimmy Ruffin What You See Is What U
"    " + Heaven 17 Foolish Thing To Do
Cleveland Eaton - Pure Love
The Whispers - Butta
Phil Perry - Pretty Lady
The Individuals - I Love The Way You Love

Hour Two
Incognito - Stop Running Away
Alonzo Reid - I Tried
Al Hudson - Baby Let Me Love You
Al Green - Look What You've Done For Me
Little Milton - That's How Strong My Love Is
Maurice Wynn - The Part Of Making Love
Reggie P - Playing Me For A Fool
Kool & The Gang - Love Affair
Isaac Hayes - Eye Of The Storm
Curtis Mayfield - Show Me Love
The Dramatics - Just Shopping

Jimmy Ruffin Biography:
Born 7 May 1939, Collinsville, Mississippi, USA. The son of a minister, Ruffin was born into a musical family: his brother, David Ruffin, and cousin, Melvin Franklin, both became mainstays of the Temptations. Ruffin abandoned his gospel background to become a session singer in the early 60s, joining the Motown Records stable in 1961 for a one-off single before he was drafted for national service. After leaving the US Army, he returned to Motown, turning down the opportunity to join the Temptations and instead recommending his brother for the joBorn His commercial breakthrough came in 1966 with the major US and UK hit "What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted", which displayed his emotional, if rather static, vocals. After three smaller hits, Ruffin found success in the USA hard to sustain, concentrating instead on the British market. "I'll Say Forever My Love" and "It's Wonderful" consolidated his position in the UK, and in 1970 he was voted the world's top singer in one British poll. Ruffin left Motown in the early 70s after an unsuccessful collaboration with his brother, and achieved minor success with singles on Polydor Records and Chess Records. Despite his popularity as a live performer in Britain, he enjoyed no significant hits until 1980, when "Hold On To My Love", written and produced by Robin Gibb of the Bee Gees, brought him his first US Top 30 hit for 14 years. A duet with Maxine Nightingale, "Turn To Me", was a big seller in 1982, while Ruffin's only other success of note in the 80s was the British chart-contender "There Will Never Be Another You" in 1985. He joined Ian Levine's Motor City label in 1988 and recorded two singles with Brenda Holloway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE ENTER COMMENT BELOW:-