13.1.14

Jimmy 100% Sterling

Welcome to another week's show, I had a very interesting conversation with my Florida soul brother Melvin Jordan, he asked me to have a listen to track that he thought was right in my bag, he knows me well, lol, the track in question was by a young lady by the name of Shelundia, recorded some years back but never released until now, she has only just regained the rights to her own music. I wont give to much away cause Melvin has recorded an interview that will broadcast in early February, I will include a link soon as its available but I have included one of the songs in tonight's show. Whilst on the subject of Melvin, he did a wonderful tribute show on one of my favourite artists Howard Hewitt, you'll find the link on my FB time-line, well worth checking out.

Featured artist this week is Jimmy 100% Sterling we got two tracks from his current highly rated album "I Lived It All," the set is well worth investigating, I think you will approve. Also got the new single from Brittany Yates called "Party," produced by soul legend Mel Waiters, Oh, and check-out the Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes epic "Let's Talk It Over".

On with the show, sit back enjoy, remember to share the gift of music and spread the Science of Soul link, over 20.000 visits to the site now, so thanks to you all for continuing to share. 

This weeks playlist for Sunday 12th January 2014


Hour One
Heatwave - Turn Around
Tyrone Lee - Get To Know You
Marva King - Who's Right Who's Wrong
Gloria Scott - A Case Of To Much Love Making
Al Broomfield - Where Do I Go From Here
Jimmy 100% Sterling Never Gonna Give You Up
Jimmy 100% Sterling  I'm In Love With A..
                 ..Woman, Other Women Talk About
Brittany Yates - Party
Crystal Johnson - Come Home
Enchantment - You And Me
Trace Of Smoke - You Are (flip to 45 shown)
Latimore - Around The World
Luther Ingram - Love Ain't Gonna Run Me Away

Hour Two
$1025 in 2008 (now re-issued)
Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes - Let's Talk It Over
Billy Griffin - 2nd Day Lover
Dianne Reeves - I Want You
Gerald Levert/Mikki Howard - That's What Love Is
David Hudson - Honey Honey
The Spinners - No One Like You
Shelundia - Love You Through The Night
Beau Williams - Seems Like I Met You
Special Delivery - Strait From The Heart
Rudy Love & The Love Family - My Imagination

Jimmy 100% Sterling Biography:

Jimmy 100% Sterling's career started as a backup drummer for a variety of local groups around the inner-city and suburbs of Detroit. He even performed with Motown's Jimmy Ruffin at a very young age. This also gave Sterling the opportunity to meet his musical idol David Ruffin who greatly influenced his vocal style. "I Lived It All" features two sterling Ruffin covers ("Heavy Love" and "Statue Of A Fool"). He later met one of the singers with The Chairmen of the Board, Danny Woods, who introduced him to the late great General Johnson. For six years he recorded, and toured with the Chairmen as a backup drummer/vocalist on the Carolina beach music circuit. After an offer from CDS Records based on the strength of his signature song, "At Least I Tried" (the 45 was a collector's item on the Soul music ever since it's mid 90s release) he parted with the Chairmen to pursue a career as a solo artist.

"I Lived It All" is Sterling's debut album. The album features 13, ten of which are new tracks produced by Sir Jonathan Burton including the showstopping ballad "I'm The One That Should've Been", the retro midtempo R&B of "Never Gonna Give You Up" and the aforementioned dance track "Heavy Love". There's also a brand new version of "At Least I Tried", while the original version also appears as one of three bonus tracks. Jimmy 100% Sterling is one hundred percent Southern Soul meets Motown!

Buy cd link

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE ENTER COMMENT BELOW:-