2.12.13

Dorothy Moore

Melba Moore
It's that time of year once again... still don't know were the last eleven months went..they say time flies when your having fun.... shit..I must have had a lot of fun, lol. On this weeks show we send our congratulations to Ms Melba Moore on receiving her lifetime from Soul Tracks,it's richly deserved....it got me thinking about Dorothy Moore she is a lady who as survived all the music trends and living proof that soul survives so I thought I would include 3 tracks from this amazing lady in this weeks show, check out With Pen In Hand a classic piece of soul music.

I am still getting nice comments from new listeners who have only just discovered the Curtis Mayfield III interview from a few months back I thank you for listening and getting in touch. If your looking for Xmas gift ideas check out the Donny Hathaway Never My Love: Anthology that as just been issued its very nicely put together and a valuable addition to any soul fans collection,and here's a real cheap idea why not give The Science Of Soul a Link, it wont cost a dime and it just keeps on giving.

When I put this weeks show together I was in a 1970s mood, lol, and I realised I was yet to play anything on the show by Autry Dewalt Jr. you will know him as Jr Walker, just thinking of Junior brings a smile to my face, he was a beautiful person totally untouched by fame. Nice footage at base of this page of him.

I remember those Magic Of Motown tours from way back in the day so well...wonderful times I miss them .. I still have his brief case that he forgot to take after his last tour ....aha memories don't leave, like people do! (there's a song in there somewhere,) lol .OK enough from me on to the good stuff ... sit back enjoy and share the show .... hope all my American listeners had a safe and happy Thanks Giving .. Podcast

This weeks play list, Sunday 1st. December 2013



 Hour One
Moses - Something About You
Jnr Walker - Closer Than Close
Chaka Khan - Sweet Thang
C.C. Neal - All I Want From You
The Spats - Your Love
Dorothy Moore - Girl Overboard
Dorothy Moore - I Believe You
Smokey Robinson - Sleeping In
Enchantment - I Cant Forget You
Eliminators - Makin' Love Takin' Love
Barry White - Playing Your Game
Charlie Wilson - There Goes My Baby

 HourTwo 
The Three Degrees - Maybe
Anacostia - All For You
Heaven & Earth - How Do You...
    ...Think Your Gonna Find Love
The Numonics - You Lied
Avant - Human
Jerry Butler - Suite For The Single Girl
Levert - Baby I'm Ready
Johnny Gill - My My My
The Day Tones - A Broken Heart
Dorothy Moore - With Pen In Hand
R Kelly - Slow Dance

Dorothy Moore Biography:

Born 13 October 1947, Jackson, Mississippi, USA. Moore was one of the last great southern soul singers to find success in the late 70s, when disco and funk were making deep soul an increasingly marginalised form limited to the south. She began her career at Jackson State University where she formed an all-female group called the Poppies with Petsye McCune and Rosemary Taylor. The group recorded for Columbia Records' Date subsidiary, reaching number 56 in the pop charts in 1966 with "Lullaby Of Love". Abortive solo singles for the Avco, GSF and Chimneyville labels followed, before her career took off with a series of remarkable ballads for Malaco Records. "Misty Blue" (number 2 R&B, number 3 pop) and "Funny How Time Slips Away" (the Willie Nelson song, number 7 R&B, number 58 pop) hit in 1976, while "I Believe You" (number 5 R&B, number 27 pop) charted the following year. Moore's recordings in the next few years were not nearly as successful as she succumbed increasingly to the disco trend. She left the business for several years, but in 1986 recorded the fine gospel set, Giving It Straight To You, in Nashville for the Rejoice label. It yielded a masterful remake of Brother Joe May's "What Is This" that became a Top 10 gospel hit. Moore returned to secular music in 1988, recording, in a deep soul style, two albums for the Volt subsidiary of Fantasy Records. In 1990 she returned to her original label, Malaco, where she has since recorded several high class albums.

Discography:
as the Poppies Lullaby Of Love (Epic 1966)***, Misty Blue (Malaco 1976)***, Dorothy Moore (Malaco 1977)***, Once More With Feeling (Malaco 1978)***, Definitely Dorothy (Malaco 1979)***, Talk To Me (Malaco 1980)***, Giving It Straight To You (Rejoice 1986)***, Time Out For Me (Volt 1988)***, Winner (Volt 1989)***, Feel The Love (Malaco 1990)***, Stay Close To Home (Malaco 1992)***, More Moore (Malaco 1996)****, Songs To Love By ... (601 1997)***.



No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE ENTER COMMENT BELOW:-